Roast Turkey And Stuffing Made Easy
Roast Turkey is the centerpiece of the holiday dinner table. But cooking a turkey with all the fixings can be a daunting task. I have taken the guesswork out of your celebration with a guide to a turkey feast. whether you're cooking for four or twenty four.
Roast Turkey How to
Clean and wash turkey ; Brush skin with cooking oil or butter. Place turkey breast down on a rack in a shallow pan, or you can cover turkey with oil (veg) moistened cheesecloth, large enough to cover top and drape down on all sides.
Place in preheated oven, 325 degrees F. Do not sear; do not add water; do not cover. Basting is unnecessary, but if cloth dries during cooking, moisten it with drippings in pan. When meat thermometer registers 190 degrees F (20 minutes before turkey should be done) test for doneness. Press fleshy part of drumstick between fingers; meat should feel very soft; or move drumstick up and down; it should move readily or twist out of joint.
Roast Turkey With Stuffing4 to 8-lb Turkey.......................350 degrees F..............2 ½ hours8 to 12-lb Turkey......................350 degrees F ..............3 ½ hours12 to 16-lb Turkey.....................350 degrees F................4 hours16 to 20-lb Turkey.....................350 degrees F................5 hours20 to 24-lb Turkey.....................350 degrees F ..............5 ½ hours
If turkey is roasted unstuffed, reduce time approximately 5 minutes per pound.
Cleanup time: Make sure to clean all work surfaces with a solution of half water and bleach.
Quick and Easy Stuffing12 cups day old bread3/4 cup butter or margarine1 cup onion (chopped) 3 tbsp. Mixed poultry seasoning
Melt butter or margarine in skillet and cook onions.Add to bread and seasoning.Mix well. Transfer mixture to baking pan.Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes you can also use this stuffing for your turkey.
Roast Turkey with wine-simmered fruit Stuffing
Dried apricots, cherries and raisins simmered in wine and combined with bread and pecans.
Prep Time: 40 minutesTotal Time: 4 hours (approximately)
Ingredients:10 diced, bread slices ( day old)1 cup (250 ml) white wine1 large granny smith apple½ cup (125 ml) chopped, dried apricots ½ cup (125 ml) golden raisins2 tbsp (30 ml ) butter 1 cup (250 ml) chopped onion1 cup (250 ml) chopped celery½ cup (125 ml) chopped, toasted pecans½ tsp (3 ml) salt1/4 tsp (1 ml) black pepper1 ½ cups (375 ml) chicken broth1 Turkey ( 15 lb/6.8 kg)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees/ 165 c. Spread bread on bottom of shallow baking pan. Bake until brown (20 minutes) stirring occasionally.
2. Place wine, apples, apricots, cherries and raisins in a saucepan. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until wine is absorbed. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
3. Melt butter in large skillet, add onions and celery. Cook and stir for 8 Minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add fruit mixture, pecans, salt and pepper to skillet and stir.
5. Place mixture in large bowl and add bread and broth.
6. Prepare turkey ( clean and wash ) do not forget to take out the giblets .
7. Place turkey, breast side up, on a flat rack in a shallow baking pan.
8. Fill neck and body cavities with stuffing. Rub turkey with vegetable oil. Place a small piece of foil over skin of neck cavity and over exposed stuffing.
9. Roast for about 4 hours, or until thermometer reaches a minimum 165 F/75 c in the center of the stuffing and 180 F/83c deep in the thigh.
Note: Cover lightly with foil, after 2 hours remove to prevent over cooking the breast.
10. Let turkey stand for 15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
Out of time.... and need to make... stuffing.
Kraft Stove Top Stuffing is excellent just follow the directions on side panel.
Size of turkey-5 lb to 8 lb -----------1--- 6 oz pouch 8 to 12 lb------------2----6 oz pouches 12 to 20 lb----------3-4--6 oz pouches
There is also stove top with cranberries.
Orange Glaze for Turkey1 cup orange juice½ cup orange marmalade 4 tbsp soy sauce 1 tsp ground mustard 2 tsp cornstarch
Mix cornstarch and mustard in small bowl, stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for about 1 minute,until glaze is thickened. Pour over Roasting Turkey the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Roast Turkey Leftover Ideas
easy cooking for a crowd home
Top of Roast Turkey